Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Here we go

We are less than one week away from the big event.  I have still been having pain in my foot, so last night I thought I would listen to some of the advice that I have heard and tried to "ICE".  I have a foot massager, so I thought that would be perfect to put the ice in and then put my feet on top of the ice.  Let me just say one word.  OUCH!  That was painful.  More painful that the pain I have in my foot to begin with.  Let's just say, I will not be doing that again.  At first I was barefoot and then I tried with socks.  I could not even get beyond 5 minutes and that was with taking my feet in and out of the ice.  Heat is more of a friend to me.

In just 3 short days I will be on my way to Disney for the Fitness Expo to pick up my bibs. I can say I am excited about going to get the bibs. I am a bit nervous, excited and thinking "what have I done" all at the same time.  I am excited about the race and more so for the cause in which I am doing the race for.  I am nervous because I have never done a half marathon and I haven't been able to train like I want to, thus the "what have I done" thinking is settling in.

My personal goal is to finish at least 7 miles of the 13.1 miles.  I know that may not sound like much.  But, I will be doing the 5K the day before.  I haven't been training, I have been having foot problems, as well as allergy issues.  Although I am taking allergy medicine and trying to rest my foot a bit I am hoping since I will not just be standing in one place my feet will not bother me as much as I think they might.

Currently I can do 3 miles in an hour.  If I look at that timing, I should be able to do at least 9 miles.  We have a total of three and a half hours to complete the race.  If that is the case, I should be able to complete about 10.5 miles.  I am going to keep going as long as my body will take me.  I have a new gadget that hopefully will help me.  It is a GYMBOSS, it is an interval trainer.  I am going to set it to walk 2 minutes and jog 30 seconds and try to keep that up for the entire race.  Hopefully that will put me further along that what I think I will be able to do.

Thursday night before the race I will be treating myself to a nice 2 hour massage with a sugar foot scrub.  Hoping that this little bit of pampering will help me this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment